Last Modified: 05/05/2020
Conservation AI collects non-personal information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. The purpose in collecting non-personal information is to better understand how Conservation AI’s visitors use its Websites and Apps. From time to time, Conservation AI may release non-Personal Information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its Websites and Apps.
“Personal Information” means information such as Your first/middle initial or name, last name, e-mail address, street address, mailing address if different, town or city, post code, telephone number, profile photograph, Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, credit card information, and any other information that could allow someone to identify You or contact You.
Conservation AI does not disclose Personal Information other than as disclosed below.
Personal Information We Collect
Conservation AI may collect Personal Information when You choose to interact with Conservation AI in ways that require Conservation AI to gather such information, such as if You browse on Conservation AI, register as an Conservation AI User, update or add information to Your Conservation AI profile, provide content to Conservation AI through Your computer or phone or otherwise communicate with Us about the Conservation AI Services. When You post an Observation on Conservation AI, We may collect Your User ID, latitude and longitude of the site of the Observation, the place name of the site of the Observation, the date and time of the Observation, the metadata associated with image or sound files, the app You used to contribute data, and the time zone of the site of the Observation. The amount and type of information that Conservation AI gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. In each case, Conservation AI collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of Your interaction with Conservation AI. Conservation AI does not disclose Personal Information other than as described below. You can refuse to supply Personal Information, with the caveat that doing so may prevent You from engaging in certain Website and App-related activities, such as registering as an Conservation AI User, maintaining an Conservation AI profile, or posting content to Conservation AI. Without providing personal information (other than the automatic provision of Your IP address), You will still be able to access and use Conservation AI on a read-only basis.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use the Personal Information that You provide in order to deliver the Conservation AI Services and to administer and maintain the Conservation AI Websites. If You register as an Conservation AI User, You must give Us current, complete and accurate information and keep the information You provide to Us up to date. We cannot and shall not be responsible for any problems or liability that may arise if You do not give Us current, accurate, truthful, or complete information or if You fail to update the information You give Us.
When We Disclose Personal Infromation
Personal Information you provide related to the Observations You post (user name, email, date, time, location) is published in venues on Conservation AI where it is visible to anyone (“Published”) as matter of normal usage and therefore is publicly shared with other Conservation AI Users, whether or not they are signed in. Personal Information associated with users’ registration and account (IP address, email address, etc.) is shared with Conservation AI staff. Conservation AI discloses Personal Information only to those of its programmers that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on Conservation AI’s behalf or to provide Services available at Conservation AI’s Websites and Apps, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others, with the exception of non-public location data from Observations for non-commercial research, conservation, and species management purposes. Some of those employees, may be located outside of Your home country; by using Conservation AI’s Websites or Apps, You consent to the transfer of such information to them. Conservation AI will not rent or sell Personal Information to anyone. Other than to its employees as described above, Conservation AI discloses Personal Information only when required to do so by law, or when Conservation AI believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Conservation AI, third parties, or the public at large. Unless authorised by You through Your opt-in, or as provided above, We will make Your Personal Information available to non-affiliated third parties only in the following circumstances:
- If We are compelled to do so by a governmental agency, court, or other entity (e.g., to respond to subpoenas, court orders or legal process);
- If, in Our sole discretion, We believe disclosure is necessary to investigate or resolve possible problems or inquiries, to protect Our assets, to defend Our interests or comply with Our legal and regulatory obligations; or to protect a User’s safety;
If You are a registered User of Conservation AI and have supplied Your email address, Conservation AI may occasionally send You an email to tell You about new features, solicit Your feedback, or just keep You up to date with what’s going on with Conservation AI and Our products. We primarily use blogs and groups to communicate this type of information, so We expect to keep this type of email to a minimum. If You send Us a request (for example via a support email or via one of Our feedback mechanisms), We reserve the right to publish it in order to help Us clarify or respond to Your request or to help Us support other users. Conservation AI takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorised access, use, alteration, or destruction of Personal Information. We do not share Your Personal Information data with any parties for marketing or commercial purposes.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- The processing is necessary to provide the services and features You have requested
- The processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of our users or of others
- The processing is necessary to perform a contract with You
- The processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of our business, such as fraud prevention, information security, or to comply with the law
- You have provided consent for Us to do so
How We Protect Your Personal Information
Your Rights in Regards to Your Personal Information
If You are a resident of the European Union, You have certain rights with regard to Your Personal Information. Those include:
- The right to access, update or delete the information We have about You. In many instances, You can personally access and update Your Personal Information by accessing Your online account settings when logged in by going to your profile. If You are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact Us to assist You
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have Your information corrected if that information is inaccurate or incomplete
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of Your Personal Information
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that We restrict the processing of Your Personal Information
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information that We have about You in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format
- The right to withdraw consent. You have the right to withdraw Your consent at any time where Conservation AI relied on Your consent to process Your personal information